Recipe Category: Soups
Bacon and Broccoli Minestrone
Hearty colourful soup with bacon and broccoli.
|Preparation Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking time:||30 minutes|
- 1 cup small pasta (risone, elbows or macaroni)
- 1 head broccoli
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 rashers bacon, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 400g can cannellini beans, undrained
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- chopped parsley and shaved Parmesan, for sprinkling
- crusty bread, for serving
Cook pasta in a pot of salted boiling water until just ‘al dente’. Drain and reserve. Cut broccoli into small florets and chop the stalks. Heat il in a large heavy-based pot and sauté onion, garlic and bacon until softened. Add carrots, potatoes and chopped broccoli stalks (reserve the florets) and sauté for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, stock and beans and bring to the boil. Simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes until vegetables are tender and soup has thickened slightly. Add broccoli florets and pasta to soup and simmer a further 5 minutes or until broccoli is just tender. Season to taste. Spoon into bowls, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan, and serve with crusty bread.
If making ahead of time, take care to add the broccoli when reheating the soup so it remains crisp and bright green in colour.