Balsamic Onion, Blue Cheese and Pear Tart
Flaky pastry topped with caramelised onions and a bold blue makes a very moreish tart.
|Preparation Time:||20 minutes|
|Cooking time:||30 minutes|
- 2 large red onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 ripe pear, finely sliced
- 120g blue cheese, sliced
- fresh thyme sprigs, for sprinkling
Cut onions into slices and separate into rings. Heat extra olive oil in a frypan and sauté onions and brown sugar over medium to low heat for 15 minutes until soft. Add vinegar and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste. Lay puff pastry sheets on top of each other onto a baking tray and lightly press together. Top with pear slices and balsamic onions. Bake at 220°C for 20-25 minutes until puffed and golden. If base of pastry needs browning, place on base of oven towards the end of the cooking time to crisp up. Top hot tart with blue cheese slices and fresh thyme sprigs and serve hot or cold.