BBQ Sardines with Green Olive Salsa and Garlic Croutons
Tasty fresh sardines with a piquant green olive and chilli salsa.
|Serves:||4 as main, 8 as appetiser|
|Preparation Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking time:||15 minutes|
- 500g fresh sardines, cleaned
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- lime or lemon wedges, for serving
- GREEN OLIVE SALSA
- 1/4 cup pitted grilled green olives*, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped continental parsley
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chopped chilli, to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- GARLIC CROUTONS
- 2 slices mixed grain bread, cut into cubes
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Lightly coat sardines with oil and season with salt. Cook on a hot bbq for a few minutes on each side, until just cooked. Transfer to a platter, top with Green Olive Salsa, crumbled Garlic Croutons and oregano leaves. Serve with lime wedges.
GREEN OLIVE SALSA
Combine all ingredients together and use as required.
Place bread cubes on an oven tray, drizzle with oil and toss with remaining ingredients. Bake at 200°C for 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
* If grilled olives are not available, substitute regular or stuffed green olives.