Recipe Category: Main Courses
Beef, Beer and Mushroom Pie with Vegemite Tomato Sauce
A good ol’ Aussie-style meat pie with a cheeky tomato sauce on the side.
|Preparation Time:||20 minutes|
|Cooking time:||30 minutes|
- 250g (1/2 lb) round steak
- 1 onion
- 250g (1/2 lb) button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 500g (1 lb) beef mince
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 375ml (12 fl oz) beer
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 3 teaspoons Vegemite
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry*, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- extra rosemary, for sprinkling
Finely dice round steak, removing any sinew. Finely chop onion and cut mushrooms into quarters. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frypan and brown the diced round steak, seasoning it as it browns. Remove. Heat remaining oil and sauté onion until softened, add mince and brown. Add mushrooms and cook until softened. Add flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add beer and bring to the boil, stirring until thickened. Stir in tomato sauce, Vegemite and rosemary. Spoon into a 6 cup capacity pie dish. Layer the puff pastry sheets on top of each other and use to cover the pie, trimming to fit as required. Crimp the edges with your fingers. Brush with egg, sprinkle with rosemary and sea salt. Bake at 200°C for 25-30 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve with Vegemite Tomato Sauce
VEGEMITE TOMATO SAUCE
Soften 1 tablespoon Vegemite in a bowl with the back of a teaspoon and gradually mix in 1/2 cup tomato sauce/ketchup until smooth. Serve with pie.
* 1 sheet of Careme puff pastry was used in the image. As it rises so well, only one sheet is needed. Otherwise, two sheets of Pampas puff pastry (or similar) is recommended.
Substitute round steak/beef mince with 750g (1 1/2 lb) finely diced mushrooms, and proceed as above (using 200g / 1/2 lb halved mushrooms as well).