Recipe Category: Main Courses
Chicken, Date and Chickpea Tagine
The flavours of Morocco are redolent in this rich, aromatic stew.
|Preparation Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking time:||1 hour|
- 2 kg chicken drumsticks and thighs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 8 dates, halved and pitted
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander
- grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- chopped pistachios or toasted almonds, for garnish
- natural yogurt and couscous, for serving
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a tagine or large pot and brown chicken on all sides and remove. Add onions, garlic and ginger and sauté until softened. Add spices and sauté until aromatic. Stir in carrots, chickpeas, dates, chicken and stock and bring to the boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour until chicken is very tender. Stir in finely chopped coriander stalks, lemon rind and juice and season to taste. Garnish with coriander leaves and pistachios and serve with couscous and yogurt.
Substitute 1kg chicken thigh fillets for chicken pieces if you prefer not to have bones.
Boneless lamb can also be used.
Use dried apricots instead of dates for a delicious tangy taste.
|Date Created:||June 27, 2018|