Recipe Category: Desserts
Christmas Pudding Trifles
A quick Christmassy dessert!
|Preparation Time:||15 minutes (plus refrigeration time)|
|Cooking time:||10 minutes|
- 1 cup dried fruit (currants, dried apricots, sultanas)
- 1/2 cup cider, sherry or apple juice
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- grated rind and juice 1 orange
- 1 jam sponge roll (Swiss Roll)
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- VANILLA CUSTARD
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or essence
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
Combine dried fruit, sherry, mixed spice, orange rind and juice together in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn off heat and allow to cool. Cut jam sponge roll into 12 slices.
For individual trifles use 6 serving glasses and layer a slice of sponge into the base of each. Layer with 1/2 dried fruit, 1/2 vanilla custard and 1/2 almonds, and repeat layers.
For a large trifle, layer into a 6 cup capacity serving bowl.
Refrigerate until chilled before serving.
Whisk egg, sugar, cornflour and vanilla together in a saucepan until combined. Stir in milk. Bring to the boil, stirring until thickened. Transfer into bowl to cool, stirring occasionally to stop a skin from forming. Use as required.
May be made the day before and kept refrigerated.
Recipe Type: Christmas