Recipe Category: Sandwiches
Classic Reuben Sandwich
There is certainly an art to making a great sandwich like this New York-style Classic Reuben.
|Preparation Time:||10 minutes|
|Cooking time:||5 minutes|
- 8 thick slices continental rye bread
- butter, for spreading
- 1/2 cup Russian Dressing (recipe below)
- 200g grated Swiss-style or Gruyere cheese
- 200g corned beef or pastrami
- 1 cup sauerkraut, warmed
- sliced dill pickles or gherkins, optional
- american mustard, for serving, optional
Butter bread slices on one side and toast under a hot grill on buttered side. Turn over, spread with dressing and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Grill until cheese melts. Top 4 slices with corned beef, sauerkraut, pickles and a squeeze of mustard. Sandwich together with remaining grilled bread and serve with extra pickles.
Makes 1 1/4 cups
1/2 cup egg mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickles or gherkins
Combine all ingredients together. Store in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Recipe Type: American