Recipe Category: Main Courses
Crumbed Eggplant Parmigiana
Crunchy coated eggplant schnitzels smothered in sauce and cheese make a marvellous meatfree meal.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Cooking time:||30 minutes|
- 2 large eggplants
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- extra light olive oil, for shallow frying
- 250g mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs, extra
- TOMATO SAUCE
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g can peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped continental parsley
Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1cm thick slices, salt liberally on both sides and allow to stand for 15 minutes. Wipe off salt and moisture with absorbent paper. Coat eggplant slices in flour, dip in egg and coat in breadcrumbs. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, before shallow frying in hot oil on both sides until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper. Place on an oven tray, top with Tomato Sauce, mozzarella slices and sprinkle the top with combined pecorino and extra breadcrumbs. Drizzle with a little oil and bake at 200°C for 20 minutes until cheese is golden. Serve sprinkled with remaining parsley.
Heat oil and sauté onion and garlic until softened. Add tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Season to taste. Stir in 1/4 cup parsley, reserving the remainder for garnish, and use as required.
Recipe Type: Vegetarian