Recipe Category: Salads
Freekah and Pomegranate Salad
An ancient grain salad with bright bursts of fresh pomegranate.
|Preparation Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking time:||15 minutes|
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon honey
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 cup freekah
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 400g can lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped continental parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 pomegranate, seeds and juice
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine currants, honey and lemon juice together. Place freekah, 1 litre water and 1 tablespoon salt in a saucepan, bring to the boil and boil for 15 minutes until tender. Drain and cool. Toss freekah together with lentils, currant mixture, spring onions, parsley, mint, half the pomegranate, half the almonds and oil, and season to taste. Place in a serving bowl and garnish with remaining pomegranate, almonds and extra mint leaves.
Brown rice can be substituted for freekah but cook for 25 minutes or until tender.
Feta cheese or goats cheese may also be added for a creamy touch.