Recipe Category: Main Courses
Jamaican-style Goat Curry
A mildly spiced creamy goat curry fragrant with Jamaican spice.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Cooking time:||2 hours|
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1.5kg goat meat (shoulder or leg), cubed
- 1/4 cup curry powder
- 2 teaspoons allspice or cinnamon
- 400g can coconut cream
- 400g peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 500g sweet potato, unpeeled, diced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
Heat oil in a large pot and sauté onion, ginger and garlic until softened. Add goat meat and brown. Add curry powder and allspice and sauté until aromatic. Add coconut cream, tomatoes and sweet potato. Bring to the boil and season to taste. Bake covered at 160°C for 1 1/2-2 hours until very tender. Stir in half the coriander and serve garnished with remaining coriander leaves.
Serve with Red Beans and Rice.
Substitute sweet potato with pumpkin or potato.
To freshen up any leftover curry, reheat and stir in some spinach leaves or frozen peas until cooked.