Recipe Category: Soups
Lentil, Pumpkin and Leek Soup
A nourishing brown lentil soup with the sweetness of pumpkin and leek.
|Preparation Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking time:||1 hour|
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 300g brown lentils, rinsed
- 3 litres vegetable or chicken stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini, grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped continental parsley
Heat oil in a large pot and sauté leek and capsicum until softened. Add carrot and sauté for 2 minutes. Add lentils, stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Add pumpkin and simmer covered for 30-40 minutes until lentils are tender. Add zucchini and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes until just cooked. Stir in parsley just before serving. Serve with crusty bread.
To reduce cooking time, use canned lentils and add the pumpkin to the soup at the same time as the lentils. Simmer until pumpkin is tender.