Recipe Category: Breakfast & Brunch
Mexican Cheddar Eggs
Have a spicy start to your morning with these Mexican-style baked eggs.
|Preparation Time:||5 minutes|
|Cooking time:||15 minutes|
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 cup grated extra-tasty cheddar
- 4 eggs
- paprika, for sprinkling
- toasted tortillas, for serving
Heat oil in a heavy based skillet and sauté onion until softened. Add tomatoes, beans and chilli and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened. Sprinkle ¾ cup cheddar over the top. Use a spoon to make four hollows in the sauce and carefully break an egg into each. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes until eggs are just set. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and paprika and serve with toasted tortillas.
• To save time in the morning, make the sauce the day before.
• These can also be made in individual soufflé dishes and oven baked until the eggs are just set as shown in recipe image.
• A mix of cheddar and Swiss is also a great combination for this recipe.