Recipe Category: Snacks
Mini Croque Monsieurs
These French-style sandwiches make the perfect snack.
|Preparation Time:||10 minutes|
|Cooking time:||10 minutes|
- 1/3 cup cream
- 200g grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette
- 150g shaved gypsy or virginia ham
- paprika, for sprinkling
- gherkins or cornichons, for serving
Combine cream, cheese, mustard and egg yolk together and season with salt and pepper. Cut baguette into an even number of slices 1cm thick (16 or 24 depending on length of bread). Arrange on an oven tray lined with baking paper and toast under a hot grill on one side until lightly golden. Turn over and top with ham, cheese mixture and sprinkle with paprika. Sandwich two slices together, cheese side up. Grill for 5 minutes, lowering the level of the grill rack if needed, until the sandwiches are heated through and bubbly golden on top. Serve immediately topped with a gherkin.
• Uncooked Croque Monsieurs may be assembled up to 2 hours ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to cook. Bring to room temperature before finishing off under the grill.
• Substitute Raclette, gouda or cheddar for the Gruyere.
• To make these into classic toasted sandwiches, butter bread slices and sandwich together with the filling, with the buttered side of the bread facing out, and toast in a sandwich press until golden.