Recipe Category: Main Courses
This is a fairly quick to cook Moroccan inspired stew, as it uses mid loin lamb chops that don’t need long slow cooking. Great for midweek dinners.
|Preparation Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking time:||30 minutes|
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 mid loin lamb chops, well trimmed of fat
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Moroccan seasoning
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed chilli, to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin or 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 400g can chick peas, rinsed and drained
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1/2 bunch coriander or continental parsley leaves
- natural yogurt and couscous, for serving
Heat oil in a heavy based casserole dish, brown lamb well on both sides and remove. Add onion, capsicum, spices (to your liking) and chilli and saute for 1 minute. Add stock, pumpkin, chickpeas and lamb and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Remove lid, add lemon rind and simmer uncovered a further 10 minutes or until reduced slightly. Reserving some for garnish, add coriander. Serve on a bed of couscous, with a dollop of yogurt, garnished with coriander.
Serve over rice or couscous, sprinkled with almonds and extra lemon rind.
PEARL COUSCOUS - for serving
To make pearl couscous, sauté 1 chopped onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil, add 250g pearl couscous and sauté until toasted. Add 2 cups hot chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer covered for 8-10 minutes until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender.