Recipe Category: Biscuits
I first baked these cookies while I was up in the wee hours watching the inauguration of Obama live many years ago and, with the assortment of oddments I threw in, they seemed to match the Yes We Can mood of the times.So they came to be known as Obama Cookies in my house.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Cooking time:||12 minutes|
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 50g grated dark chocolate
- 100g milk chocolate pieces
- 100g white chocolate bits
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup moist flakes coconut
Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt together. Cream butter, sugars and vanilla together until light and creamy. Add eggs and beat until fluffy. Fold in flour, oats, chocolate, nuts and coconut. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Use a small ice cream scoop to spoon tablespoons of mixture onto oven trays*, allowing room for spreading, and bake at 180°C for 10-12 minutes until golden. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing onto a wire rack to cool completely.
* If you have time, once you have scooped the mixture onto trays, refrigerate for 15 minutes. This stops the cookies from spreading too much during cooking.