Recipe Category: Main Courses
A magnificent mixed-style paella with all the flavours and colours of Spain. Use a paella pan for best results.
|Preparation Time:||20 minutes|
|Cooking time:||45 minutes|
- 1 litre hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- olive oil, as needed
- 4 small chicken legs or thighs
- 1 red Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 yellow or red capsicum, cut into strips
- 1 Spanish-style chorizo sausage (soft not dried), sliced
- 1 1/2 cups paella rice* or long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 8-12 green prawns, shelled and deveined with heads left intact
- 8-12 mussels in the shell, scrubbed, beards removed
- continental parsley leaves and lemon wedges, for garnish
Combine stock and saffron. Season chicken and cut a few slashes in the thickest part. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a paella pan and brown the chicken and remove. Add onions, capsicum and chorizo and sauté until golden brown. Add rice and paprika and sauté for 2 minutes until rice is toasted. Mix in stock and saffron and bring to the boil. Return chicken to the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir peas into rice and arrange seafood decoratively into the top of the rice. Simmer without stirring for 20-25 minutes, adding a little extra water if needed, until rice is cooked and a golden crust ('soccarat') has formed underneath. Test the rice and check if the soccarat is forming with a fork. You may need to add extra stock or boiling water if needed or cover with a wet teatowel periodically to help the seafood cook through. Once rice is almost cooked, cover with the teatowel and allow to stand for 5 minutes to cook completely. Serve sprinkled with extra paprika and parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
This recipe suits a 40cm paella pan. A black paella pan is preferable.
It can also be made in a large wide ovenproof pan or frypan or dutch oven or even a wok.
*PAELLA RICE varieties like Bomba or Calasparra are recommended in this dish for best results.
Although you can substitute long grain rice, do not use risotto rice (Arborio, Vialone Nano, Carnaroli) as they do not have the right texture.
Substitute chorizo and chicken with vegetarian sausage or 500g button mushrooms, halved. Omit seafood.
Recipe Type: Spanish