Recipe Category: Desserts
Peach Melba Trifles
Peaches, raspberries and custard over jam sponge make delicious dessert trifles.
|Preparation Time:||20 minutes|
|Cooking time:||10 minutes|
- 400g (14 oz) can peach slices
- 2 tablespoons port or sherry
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 300g (10 oz) frozen raspberries
- 1 jam sponge roll (Swiss roll)
- toasted flaked coconut or almonds, for garnish, optional
- VANILLA CUSTARD
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/4 cups (10 fl oz) milk
Drain syrup from peaches into a saucepan, add port and simmer until reduced by 1/3. Mix cornflour to a paste with a little water. Add to syrup and boil until thickened. Stir in raspberries, turn off heat and allow to cool. Cut jam roll into slices. Using 6 serving glasses*, place one slice in the base of each glass. Spoon over half the raspberries. Top with half the custard and half the peaches. Repeat the layers, garnish with coconut. Refrigerate until chilled.
Whisk egg, sugar, cornflour and vanilla together in a saucepan until combined. Stir in milk. Bring to the boil, stirring until thickened. Transfer into bowl to cool, stirring occasionally to stop a skin from forming. Use as required.
* Use a 6 cup capacity bowl or comport to make one large trifle.