Recipe Category: Breakfast & Brunch
Poached Eggs with Charred Corn and Avocado
Turn your breakfast table into a cafe with this sunny brunch dish!
|Preparation Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking time:||10 minutes|
- 400g can corn kernels, drained
- 1 avocado, finely diced
- 1 large ripe tomato, finely diced
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander or parsley
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 or 8 eggs
- sriracha mayonnaise**, for drizzling
- smoked paprika or chilli powder, for sprinkling
- toast, for serving
Place the corn in a flat layer in an oiled pan and cook over high heat for 5 minutes until the corn chars. Combine avocado, tomato, spring onions and coriander together. Squeeze a little of each lime wedge into the avocado mix, keeping the wedges for serving. Season. Poach the eggs* to your liking. Arrange the corn in the middle of the plate. Spoon the avocado mixture in the centre. Top with an egg or two, drizzle with sriracha mayonnaise and serve sprinkled with paprika and with a lime wedges on the side. Serve with toast.
*Top Tips For Poaching Eggs:
- Use a deep saucepan of boiling water and add at least 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- Break egg into a small bowl.
- Reduce water to a simmer and swirl before gently lowering the egg into the centre of the whirlpool.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes until done to your liking.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper or a spare piece of bread
** Sriracha Mayonnaise is available in the International section of most supermarkets, otherwise, make your own by mixing 1 cup mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons sriracha chilli sauce.