Recipe Category: Entrees
Polenta Crumbed Sardines with Olive, Currant and Caper Dressing
Butterflied sardines in a crisp, crunchy coating with a piquant dressing make a lovely starter.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Cooking time:||10 minutes|
- 1 1/2 cups polenta (cornmeal)
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped continental parsley
- 500g butterflied fresh sardines*
- 1/4 cup seasoned flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- extra light olive oil or canola oil, for shallow frying
- 80g baby rocket leaves, for serving
- aioli or mayonnaise, or serving
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baby capers
- 1/3 cup chopped continental parsley
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine polenta, Parmesan and parsley together. Lightly coat sardines in flour, dip in egg and crumb with polenta mixture. Allow to dry on a wire rack for 10 minutes before shallow frying until golden. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve on a bed of rocket dressed with a little olive oil, drizzled with Olive, Currant and Caper dressing and dolloped with aioli.
OLIVE, CURRANT AND CAPER DRESSING
Combine all ingredients together and stand for at least 10 minutes before use.
*Boned and butterflied fresh sardines are available from fish markets and seafood shops. Order in advance if required.
Crumbed sardines can also be served in sliced baguette as a pass around, as shown in the image.
Recipe Type: Seafood