Recipe Category: Soups
Saturday Soup – Vegetable & Lentil
There’s nothing nicer than a pot of goodness bubbling on the stove in the cooler months!
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Cooking time:||40 minutes|
- 1 large zucchini*
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 celery stalks and leaves, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 400g can peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 400g can lentils, drained
- 1 litre beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- few sprigs of thyme
- 1/4 butternut pumpkin, peeled and diced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- continental parsley, for sprinkling
Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large pot and sauté leek, onion and garlic until softened. Add celery and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until vegetables start to soften. Add tomatoes, lentils, stock, water, bay leaves and thyme and simmer partially covered for 20 minutes until vegetables are soft. Add pumpkin and the white flesh of the zucchini* and simmer a further 20 minutes until soup is thick. Just prior to serving, add the green part of the zucchini* and 1/4 cup oil. Simmer until zucchini is tender but still bright green. Season to taste and serve sprinkled with parsley.
*To prepare the zucchini, cut the green sides of the zucchini into 1 cm slices and finely dice to add to the soup at the end. Finely dice the white flesh of the zucchini to add during the making.