Stuffed Christmas Capsicums with Fennel and Feta
A great vegetarian dish with a festive flair.
|Preparation Time:||20 minutes|
|Cooking time:||30 minutes|
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1 bulb fennel, diced, fronds reserved for garnish (or celery)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 200g feta cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 small red capsicums*
Heat 1 tablespoon oil and fry fennel for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in breadcrumbs, spring onions and pine nuts and allow to cool. Crumble feta into stuffing mixture. Season to taste. Cut the tops of the capsicums around the stem, remove seeds and pith, and retain the top as a cap. Fill with stuffing and replace caps. Drizzle with olive oil and season. Bake at 200°C for 30 minutes until tender and a little charred. May be served warm or cold with a drizzle of olive oil, garnished with fennel fronds.
* Choose well-shaped capsicums that stand upright for best presentation.