Recipe Category: Main Courses
Surprise Mozzarella Meatballs
Juicy meatballs with a cheesy surprise centre, bobbing in a rich tomato sauce.
|Preparation Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking time:||20 minutes|
- 500g pork and veal mince
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion
- 1 small carrot, peeled
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200g block mozzarella or cheddar cheese*
- 750ml tomato passata
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- parsley leaves, for garnish
Cut cheese in 12 cubes. Grate onion and carrot and mix in mince, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper together until well combined. Form mixture into twelve meatballs, inserting a cube of cheese into the centre. Simmer tomato passata, wine and oil together in a large pot and season to taste. Add meatballs and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Sprinkle with pepper and extra parsley and serve with crusty bread, mash or rice.
Definitely make double quantity of this recipe because it makes a great meatball sandwich the next day!
* 12 Stuffed green olives can be substituted for the cheese as the 'surprise' centre.
Recipe Type: Italian