Recipe Category: Main Courses
Thai Prawn Noodle Soup
A sweet and spicy bowl of prawns, vermicelli noodles and snow peas.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Cooking time:||15 minutes|
- 200g vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste*
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 1 litre fish, vegetable or light chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or dark brown sugar
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped, optional
- 400g peeled green prawns, tails intact, deveined
- 200g snow peas, trimmed
- 1 small bunch coriander
- crispy fried shallots, for sprinkling
Cover rice noodles in boiling water, stand for 3 minutes then drain. Divide noodles evenly between 4 serving bowls. Heat oil in a work or pot and sauté garlic, ginger, half the spring onions and the curry paste until aromatic. Add coconut milk, stock, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and kaffir lime leaves and bring to the boil. Season to taste, adding more curry paste if required*. Just prior to serving, add prawns and snow peas and simmer until prawns are cooked and snow peas are tender but still bright green. Chop half the coriander and mix in. Pour soup over noodles in bowls and garnish with remaining coriander, spring onions and crispy shallots.
*The quantity of curry paste to use will vary depending on the brand and how spicy you like it. I recommend adding it in gradual quantities and tasting as you go, as you can add more paste in later in the cooking process if needed, just sauté it in a separate pan first, for best flavour.