Recipe Category: Main Courses
Chilli Con Carne Pies
Spicy Mexican style chilli pies.
|Preparation Time:||20 minutes|
|Cooking time:||30 minutes|
- 250g round steak
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 500g beef mince
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- Mexican chilli powder, to taste
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 400g can peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- few squares dark chocolate
- 3 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry*, thawed
- 1 cup grated vintage cheddar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons polenta (Cornmeal), optional
Finely dice round steak, removing any sinew. Finely chop onion. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frypan and brown the diced round steak, seasoning it as it browns. Remove. Heat remaining oil and sauté onion and garlic until softened, add mince, cumin and paprika, and brown. Add chilli powder to taste (1-2 teaspoons), add stock, tomatoes, beans and diced steak and simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickened. Stir in chocolate until melted and season to taste. Spoon into a 6 x 1 cup ramekins (or 1 large 6 cup pie dish) and top with cheese.
Cut the pastry sheets in half into 6 rectangles. Layer 2 pastry rectangles on top of each other and cut in half to make squares. Repeat with remaining pastry to make 6 pastry squares of double thickness. Use to cover the top of each pie, crimping the edges with your fingers. Brush with egg, sprinkle with polenta. Bake at 200°C for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
VEGETARIAN VERSION - Chilli Con Mushroom Pies
Substitute round steak/beef mince with 1 kg finely diced mushrooms and proceed as above.