Recipe Category: Salads
Smoked Chicken, Broccolini and Orzo Salad
A very moreish bowl of pasta, chicken and greens.
|Preparation Time:||20 minutes|
|Cooking time:||15 minutes|
- 1 cup orzo or risone pasta (250g)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch coriander
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 bunch broccolini, chopped
- 1 smoked chicken breast, chopped (350g)
- 60g baby rocket leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped preserved lemon*
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, optional
Boil orzo in a pot of salted boiling water for 10 minutes until al dente and drain. Reserve some coriander leaves for garnish and finely chop the rest, stems included. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pot and sauté spring onions, broccolini and chopped coriander until just tender. Toss in orzo, 1/3 cup olive oil and remaining ingredients, reserving some almonds and/or sesame seeds for garnish. Season to taste. Serve on a platter sprinkled with coriander leaves, reserved almonds and sesame seeds.
Chopped BBQ or chargrilled chicken may be substituted for the smoked chicken.
*The grated rind of 1 large lemon can be substituted for preserved lemon.
BROCCOLINI AND FETA ORZO SALAD
Omit smoked chicken and add 200g crumbled feta, mixing half through the salad and the rest on top.