Recipe Category: Entrees
Fennel Stuffed Sardines
Tasty little sardines sandwiched together with a fennel, tomato and dill filling.
|Serves:||4 as an entree|
|Preparation Time:||10 minutes|
|Cooking time:||15 minutes|
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1/2 bulb fennel, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tomato, deseeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 500g filleted fresh sardines
- extra dill and lemon, for serving
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan and sauté fennel and garlic until softened. Add tomatoes and chilli and cook until any liquid has evaporated. Stir in dill and season to taste. Lay half the sardines skin side down onto a sheet of baking paper and top with fennel stuffing. Sandwich together with remaining sardines, skin side up and press lightly. Oil a flat griddle pan and heat until very hot. Carefully transfer stuffed sardines onto the plate and cook for 2-3 minutes, before carefully turning over with a spatula. Cook a further 2 minutes and transfer to a serving platter. Drizzle with oil, a squeeze of lemon juice, a sprinkling of pepper and serve garnished with extra dill.