Recipe Category: Main Courses
A simple stew of squid in a classic tomato sauce is delicious served with crusty bread or over rice.
|Preparation Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking time:||15 minutes|
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups tomato passata
- 500g squid or calamari rings*
- 150g baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup basil leaves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- steamed rice or crusty bread, for serving
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pan and sauté leek, capsicum and garlic for 5 minutes on medium heat, until softened. Add wine and passata and bring to the boil. Add squid rings and spinach and cook, stirring for 5 minutes until the squid is just cooked. Stir in 2 tablespoons oil and basil, retaining some for garnish, and season to taste. Garnish with basil and serve with rice or crusty bread.
* Squid and Calamari are actually different species. Calamari is usually smaller in size and more tender and has fins that run the length of the body, whereas squid has arrow like fins near the top of the hood. Squid rings are usually more readily available and either can be used in this recipe.